A manual for those working with older people in the social care sector by Sue Thompson
‘One of the most thoroughly and practically written books on the context of working with older people that I have ever read.’
It not only ‘- provides guidance for those just starting out in this demanding field of work, but also offers opportunities to experienced staff to reflect, debate and improve. I have tested several chapters out with new and experienced care workers and the feedback was very positive-The training exercises are not just based on the older person’s perspective, but clearly help staff to explore their own perspectives. Importance is given to the fact that if staff needs are not met, they will not be ‘well placed’ to meet the needs of others- could be very useful to staff considering embarking on S/NVQ training.”
This manual is designed as an aid to learning for anyone involved in the care of older people: in group living situations – such as residential or nursing homes – hospitals, assisted housing schemes, or in their own homes. Photocopiable, it can be used by training staff or managers and homeowners who wish to run training sessions for relevant staff groups. It provides guidance for those just starting out in this demanding field of work, and opportunities for reflection and debate amongst more experienced workers.
‘-useful, thought-provoking, evokes a response and expands our vigorous presence in ways that enable, not coerce, the older person in our midst- a compendium of ideas and resources that will serve well.. This book deserves wide circulation.’
- Background information
- Handouts for courses or training sessions
- Guidance on training exercises
- Overhead transparency templates.
You can use this manual in a systematic and structured way, working through its 33 exercises; or dip in as you see fit.
1. If your organisation is unable to pay by credit/debit card or Paypal, you can pay by Direct Bank Transfer or Avenue Media Solutions can issue a 60-day invoice (this does not apply to items available through the Amazon-powered bookshops or electronic products). To arrange for an invoice to be issued, please contact us.
2. Price includes postage and packing.